- BE HONEST TO YOURSELF – Sit down and make a 5 year plan. Anything over that does not matter because the world changes so rapidly that you need to only assure an employer / client that you will focus on the here and the now with the experience you have and a 5 year target is respectable to show your vision. Once you have it honestly thought out (this should be about you personally) then please put it down as a mission statement and edit it 3 – 4 times with maximum 2 closing lines that should state what your end goal is and what you want it to be 10 years from now! (Note! Keep the entire length to not more than 250 words)
- BE HONEST TO YOUR CAREER – Recruiters or clients get really upset when they read that you have worked for a BIG brand name and assume that you have a lead position but in the due course of reference checks and interview processes they find out that you were in the middle of the food chain and whilst you were a team player you in reality were not what you presented yourself to be. Also please note that if you land a job where they ASS-U-ME that you will deliver results and prove to be a tiny gold fish in a shark pool then it will be very expensive for your professional relationship. I have seen a business group that was completely sales oriented hire the likes of a Chief Marketing Officer that managed to flush down over 8 crores into a toilet and then bail out and run to another company whilst leaving the organization at a staggering loss as there was no one there to execute his vision after him. So this works both ways for recruiters and HR managers as well when it comes to hiring the perfect fit.
- KEEP IT SIMPLE – Please ensure that you keep it simple! Just state your core Job Description and make sure that you note down a reason for leaving your previous employer / client! Leave some area for discussion during an interview where you can go into your JD in depth. What you must elaborate on are the ways for recruiters to contact you and give multiple options. As far as cell phone numbers / land lines and email addresses go! (It would help to have a decent email address like your full name and to avoid something like this example given here (decent_sweetie_69@HOTmail. Com or Awesome_BrandMgr786@Yahoo. Com) – for personal email addresses a web mail address is fine but just ensure it’s professional and not obnoxious!
- ADD CONTENT ONLINE – Video content of Maximum 3 minutes of personal short statements and facts that can add value are a bonus. Feel Free to upload original concepts and PDF files that will help you sell your vision of the industry that you wish to work in. Please do not plagiarize as people have google and now sadly most people know how to use that very well. If you are struggling for an OOH managers job then rather than post pictures about what sites you have sold – it would be good that you upload a 1 page short document on your analysis of where the industry stands and where you can personally add value with your experience.
- RECCOMENDATIONS – Get professionals who have remained as colleagues you reported to / clients to recommend you and don’t worry about asking them for it. Ask them to list down specifics about what your attributes are professionally. This will help clients / recruiters to profile you and kindly note that a recommendation that basically says “she’s a great girl!” does not constitute to anyone taking you very seriously!”
- ADVERTISE & FLAUNT IT – Be confident and add something like my signature below (hyperlinked) to your e-mail signature!
If you need to contact me or wish to befriend me then please...